Are you Ready?
We all wonder. And that wonder can lead to arguments. Lead to disagreements. Lead to questions.
We all wonder about the value of our homes. The American Dream. The economic impact on one of our nest eggs, our safety net and our investment. . . OK enough wondering!
Let’s move forward. You are selling or refinancing. You have to have your home appraised. Now it is time to get ready for the appraiser. What do you do?
Paige Tepping of RISMEDIA gives us a list. And we all love lists!
• The appraiser will need approximately 30 minutes to one hour to complete the inspection phase of the appraisal process, which includes: exterior photos of the front and rear of the home and a photo of the street in front of the property; measurements of the exterior of the home, garage and any outbuildings; a walk-through inspection of all rooms and levels of the interior of the home including the basement.
• Get organized. Put together a checklist that will help you get ready for your appraisal and get the results you’re looking for.
• Be flexible when scheduling the appointment.
• Have a copy of your home’s blueprint to help verify measurements and lot size.
• Provide a list of improvements made to the property since the purchase. Improvements that should be noted include adding a pool, patio, updating your kitchen or bathroom and any room additions, etc.
• Allow your appraiser access to the entire property, including access to any crawl space or attic areas.
• Keep in mind that a clean home makes a good impression. Be sure to trim the lawn, clean the pool and garage, repair cracked windows or torn screens, check for leaky faucets and secure gutters and down spouts before your appraisal.
• Point out any amenities that may not be obvious to the appraiser: sprinkler systems, patios, pools, security systems, built in vacuum, etc.
• Provide a copy of last year’s tax assessment information.
• The first thing appraisers look for is comparables, so be prepared and have a list of recent sales of similar properties in the immediate neighborhood.
Remember the Scouts modo “Be Prepared”. You are allowed to participate in your homes appraisal. Information is king and that is what the appraiser is looking for. Just make sure you have the back up!
Now take your list and click you heels together 3 times and repeat . . . There’s No Place Like Home, There’s No Place Like Home, There’s No Place Like Home!!
Advantage Inspection Raleigh
. . . performs the Nation’s Best Home Inspection and provides the Nation’s Only “No Denied Claims Warranty” available in the industry. For the last 18 years, Advantage Inspection has been the deciding factor for the people we serve: Buyers, Sellers, Real Estate Agents and Home Inspectors. Advantage Inspection Raleigh serves Raleigh, Durham and the Triangle area.
Advantage Home Inspection Raleigh
“more than just an inspection company!”