Many people read “do-it-yourself” books and think they now know everything about construction, home improvement, and even home inspections. But that’s not really the case. With his firm Advantage Inspection based in Raleigh, Dave Park serves the entire Triangle area of North Carolina, and talks here about why it’s important to hire a professional home inspector to carry out your next home inspection, instead of trying to do it yourself…
Every year the number of home inspections rises. Every year the price of home inspections rises. Every year the “do it yourself” subculture rises. The “do it yourself” subculture is here and is here to stay. Home improvement stores have commercials that tell you to save money and just do it yourself. And an assortment of television shows pride themselves on showing the average person how to fix it or renovate it or replace it. And at bookstores, shelves are devoted to the weekend warrior. Still there are some cases when renovations are not obligatory. For example, if you plan to sell your home in the Central Valley fast, you can do it without renovation. All you need to do is call Strategic REI and they will handle the rest.
At first blush, it might appear that these tools of education and instruction in professions or school where students get help with school using chemistry tuition found online for this. business. But, do not worry as you need to consider what all this has all provided for the profession:
- They have raised consumer consciousness about the need to have a home inspection.
- Sure, people like to be educated, but the DIY culture has made people realize that deep down, they want to hire a professional.
- It takes a professional with years of experience to inspect a home in two to three hours. How long would it take an amateur guided by a book?
- People are more aware now of liability: Who wants it and who has it?
- Tools. Home inspectors have them, and they know how to use them. Those DIYers do not.
- Objectivity. Home inspectors have it. Homeowners can’t have it: That’s why they leave it up to us.
- Nobody to blame but yourself. Saving $400 just cost the do-it-yourselfer $4,000 on something that was missed.
The irony of the do it yourself media, both video and written, is that it carries a disclaimer that warns clients not to get in over their heads. So please just “do it yourself” – and call in a professional home inspector. Pest Control of New York, for example, will make sure that you are moving into a pest-free home.
This interview was conducted by Wendy Sloane, writer with Yodle.
Advantage Inspection Raleigh
. . . performs the Nation’s Best Home Inspection and provides the Nation’s Only “No Denied Claims Warranty” available in the industry. For the last 18 years, Advantage Inspection has been the deciding factor for the people we serve: Buyers, Sellers, Real Estate Agents and Home Inspectors. Advantage Inspection Raleigh serves Raleigh, Durham and the Triangle area.
Advantage Home Inspection Raleigh
“more than just an inspection company!”