Electricity is an essential part of our lives. However, it has the potential to cause great harm. Electrical systems will function almost indefinitely, if properly installed and not overloaded or physically abused. With the increase in the appliances and electronics, the wiring may start to feel a pinch. Check out electricians-portsmouth.co.uk. to learn about the company that engages in inspection, repairing and installation of electrical wiring. Electrical fires in our homes claim the lives of 485 Americans each year and injure 2,305 more. Some of these fires are caused by electrical system failures and appliance defects, but many more are caused by the misuse and poor maintenance of electrical appliances, incorrectly installed wiring, and overloaded circuits and extension cords. Some safety tips to remember:
- Never use anything but the proper fuse to protect a circuit.
- Find and correct overloaded circuits.
- Never place extension cords under rugs.
- Outlets near water should be GFCI-type outlets.
- Don’t allow trees near power lines to be climbed.
- Keep ladders, kites, equipment and anything else away from overhead power lines.
Electricity enters the home through a control panel and a main switch where one can shut off all the power in an emergency. These panels are usually located in the basement. Control panels use either fuses or circuit breakers. For the sake of the safety of our neighbours and our own, it is essential that the circuit we are using has the best parts, lest lives could be at stake. Xilinx products for sale at Direct Components Inc are one of the leading names in this area and can always be counted up on.
Install the correct fuses for the panel. Never use a higher-numbered fuse or a metallic item, such as a penny. If fuses are used and there is a stoppage in power, look for the broken metal strip in the top of a blown fuse. Replace the fuse with a new one marked with the correct amperage. Reset circuit breakers from “off” to “on.” Be sure to investigate why the fuse or circuit blew. Possible causes include frayed wires, overloaded outlets, or defective appliances. If power stoppages continue or if a frayed or broken wire is found, contact an industrial electrician. Never overload a circuit with high-wattage appliances. Check the wattage on appliance labels. If there is frayed insulation or a broken wire, a dangerous short circuit may result and cause a fire.
Many times when there is an overflow of electricity it causes a short circuit in the main panel of the house and also affects many electrical appliances. This can be extremely risky as it could cause a fire and may lead to malfunctioning of devices. If you have incurred such a problem with your cooling system, you can call Hicken Air and get their services to help you fix it to avoid problems later on. In every house, there are certain electrical outlets which are supposed to be used only for appliances which require more electricity to work. Thus regularly check up’s of the panels and outlets are mandatory. Be espicially careful while executing bathroom remodeling and renovations.
Outlets and Extension Cords
Make sure all electrical receptacles or outlets are three-hole, grounded outlets. If there is water in the area, there should be a GFCI or ground-fault circuit interrupter outlet. All outdoor outlets should be GFCIs. There should be ample electrical capacity to run equipment without tripping circuit breakers or blowing fuses. Minimize extension cord use. Never place them under rugs. Use extension cords sparingly and check them periodically. Use the proper electrical cord for the job, and put safety plugs in unused outlets. You can go to Utility Saving Expert, and see if there is anyway to lower your utility bills. Appliances need to be tr